Breville Barista Express Overview
Just like a Cadillac, but with a grinder…
The Breville is designed for the consumer. The ultimate consumer. The informed consumer. For the ultimate espresso drinker, freshness is key. Ground coffee starts to lose its flavor almost immediately. Even a few minutes can make a difference. By integrating the burr grinder and doser, the Breville puts freshness first. Push the button. Grind the beans. Pack the bowl. And pull the shot. All in under a minute. All in your own home.
Espresso making is notorious for being both an art and a science, requiring you to carefully adjust each of the inputs (grind size, grind amount, etc.). But even complete beginners and aspiring baristas can pull a perfect shot from the Breville Barista Express.
For beginners, it comes with pressurized portafilters that regulate pressure and help optimize the extraction.
For more experienced baristas, it single-wall, non-pressurized portafilters that give you more room to experiment with different grind sizes, grind amounts, and tamping pressure.
As either a crash-course or a continuation study, the Barista Express gives you free rein to explore the art of espresso, without suffering some horrible pre-mastery period of mediocre espresso, and without suffering some horrible realization that you’ve outgrown the machine as your talent and experience have developed.
- Espresso pressure gauge – allows you to monitors espresso extraction pressure
- Auto purge function – if you know what this is, then you know you’ll love this
- Clean me light when cleaning cycle required. Cleaning kit included!
- Pressurized portafilter baskets for beginners and learning
- Commercial grade portafilter baskets for advanced espresso mastery
- Integrated conical burr grinder and half-pound bean hopper
- Grind size and grind amount selector dials
- Filter size button
- 54mm tamper
- Hands-free grinding cradle
- 54mm stainless steel portafilter
- 67 oz. removable water tank
- Volume control – 1 and 2 cup presets, manual override, and reprogrammable settings
- Removable drip tray
Is the Breville Barista Express Right For You?
No room for dilettantes or half in half out wishy washiness here. So you really want the best results? You’re willing to invest the time and effort into learning how to achieve them? You don’t mind the chance of an expensive machine breaking and requiring expensive repairs or replacement? Great!
Generally, the Breville is considered the Cadillac of home espresso machines. You want the best, you don’t want to think too much about it, just get the Coupe de Ville with all the options. Easy Peasy.
The two breville machines are more or less equivalent, with the Bariata Express having a built in dosing grinder. If you have no particular use for a grinder apart from your espresso machine, then the built in one makes sense. But if you need a grinder for regular coffee, or press pot coffee, then go with the Breville Infuser and pick up a good conical burr grinder separately.